Knowledge And Experience Are What Matter

Home → Divorce → Separation Agreements

The Legal Separation Process In South Carolina Could Be An Option For You

Parties are often able to reach a separation agreement on the issues of child custody, visitation, alimony, child support or property, or other disputed issues between them. With the help of our firm, the parties decide existing issues through negotiation or mediation. This process has substantial cost savings over proceeding all the way to trial, enabling the parties to control the outcome rather than having it imposed upon them by a judge and causing significantly less stress for family members.

Help From A Skilled Lawyer And Family Court Mediator

Attorney Beverly K. Ballinger with the firm has 33 years of experience. She negotiates settlements for individuals in Mt. Pleasant and Charleston, as well as, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties. She can draft a settlement agreement to present to your spouse in the language that you want. We can also help you analyze a proposal from your spouse and fashion a counteroffer on the relevant issues, whether they are child custody, visitation, alimony/spousal support or property division.

Is A Separation Agreement A Logical Choice For You?

Separation agreements can be put on the record and approved by a judge before or at the same time you obtain a divorce. If you are seeking a no-fault divorce and would have to live apart from your spouse for a one-year period, you can often reach an agreement on the disputed issues before the expiration of that time. In that case, the separation agreement can and should be put on the record as soon as possible. The parties can then proceed efficiently with an uncontested, no-fault divorce.

In other cases, the timing of the finalization of the agreement enables the parties to get their agreement approved and obtain a divorce simultaneously.

Let Our Firm Help You move Forward

To learn more about the legal separation process, call our office today at 843-790-7807. You can also schedule a meeting by contacting us via email.