Knowledge And Experience Are What Matter

Home → Family Law FAQ

Family Law – Frequently Asked Questions

At Ballinger Law Firm, we provide extensive family law and divorce representation. We understand the toll family conflict can take on families and how confusing divorces can be. In over 30 years of practicing law, founding attorney Beverly K. Ballinger has seen numerous cases ranging from the simple to the lengthy and complex.

Often, we hear the following questions related to family law and divorce arrangements:

How is property divided among the divorcing parties in a South Carolina divorce?

South Carolina is an equitable distribution state. This means that, in the event that your divorce goes to court, a judge will review your property and divide it based on a list of over 15 factors. Some factors a court may weigh include whether the property was purchased during the marriage, and contributions – like caretaking – which were made during the marriage.

How is child support determined in South Carolina?

Courts in South Carolina determine child support based on the following considerations:

  • Gross income of both parties
  • Work-related childcare costs
  • The cost of the child’s health insurance
  • The amount of time each party has with the child

Ultimately, the court will consider the best interests of the child in light of the financial details and how life may look for both parties after the divorce.

Will I recover alimony in my South Carolina divorce?

Whether you recover alimony will depend on a list of over 15 factors. In certain situations, it will almost always be ordered. Many other marriages are much more difficult to predict.

How long do I have to live in the state of South Carolina to get a divorce?

To obtain a divorce in South Carolina, the residency requirements depend upon whether the spouses are residents or non-residents of the state. It also depends on the length of residency of each spouse.

Still Have Questions? Give Us A Call.

Learn more about family law by setting up a consultation. Call our office in Mount Pleasant at 843-790-7807 or use our online form to contact us.